Very handy moving home checklist for your next home move
Moving Home? Read our moving home checklist and Book our FREE in-home assessment. For a FREE moving assessment Book now =>
Two months before moving home checklist
- Sort through all the contents of wardrobes, drawers and cupboards to clean out what you don’t want to keep. Arrange a garage sale, or give unwanted items to charity.
- Inventory everything of value you plan to move and determine replacement values for insurance purposes.
- Obtain estimates from several moving companies and choose one.
Six weeks before moving home checklist
- If moving out of town, make travel arrangements with your local relocations moving company.
- Notify your children’s schools of the move and contact new schools for enrolment information.
- Obtain copies of school records, or have them sent to new schools.
- Obtain copies of medical records for each family member.
- Ask doctors to recommend doctors in your new community.
- Consult insurance agents to find out if changes to policies are necessary.
One month before moving home checklist
- Notify the power, water, phone companies to disconnect services the day after you move and to have new service activated several days before you arrive at your new house.
- If necessary, arrange for storage in your new community.
- If you’re packing your house yourself, order supplies and start packing boxes.
One week before moving home checklist
- If you’re packing your house yourself, finish packing boxes.
- Confirm travel arrangements, if needed.
- Arrange payment or deposit for movers.
- Write directions to your new home for the moving company, confirm delivery date, and give the company your itinerary and cell phone number.
- Complete change-of-address forms at the post office, and send notices to magazine subscriptions, creditors, friends and relatives, credit cards, banks, and
any other necessary companies and organizations.
- Cancel newspaper subscriptions.
- Notify your employers of your new contact information.
- Clean rugs and have them packed for moving.
- Obtain health certificates from your vet for pets travelling by air.
- Pack suitcases you plan to move yourself with clothes, toiletries, jewellery, and important financial records and documents.
Moving day moving home checklist
- Pack your first-night box.
- Accompany the mover as he or she inventories your possessions and makes condition reports.
- Lock windows, turn off lights, close doors, and take a final tour after the movers have finished to make certain nothing is left behind.